Controlling the RevivalDRIVE with a Remote Switching System

If the slick pedalboards of Instagram are anything to go by, loop switching systems such as the game-changing “GigRig G2”, and highly programmable “Boss ES-8”, seem to be rapidly growing in popularity. Whether the goal is to keep cable runs to a minimum or to recall preset combinations of rack-mounted effects, these controllers are now ubiquitous among touring musicians and weekend warriors alike.

The Origin Effects “RevivalDRIVE” is capable of providing a broad range of extremely high-quality core overdrive tones, making it indispensable in such a rig. The pedal’s “footswitch” connection was originally conceived to allow the user access to the “Mid Boost” and “Blend Override” functions via a traditional analogue footswitch. However, in response to customer feedback, we have designed an affordable, add-on product to extend support to remote switching systems, whilst also expanding control to include the pedal’s onboard footswitch functions.

For those using remote switching systems, you will need a specific accessory depending on the number of functions you intend to switch. Here’s how it works…

CONTROLLING FOUR PARAMETERS: THE REVIVALDRIVE SWITCHER INTERFACE

RevivalDRIVE Switcher Interface drawing

The Switcher Interface allows four functions to be remotely switched via the single TRS footswitch connection on the RevivalDRIVE. The unit plugs into the GigRig G2, or Boss ES-8, and converts the signal from four latching control switches into the formats used by the RevivalDRIVE’s internal circuitry (a mix of latching and momentary).

Using the Switcher Interface it is possible to remotely toggle the active channelbypass statemid engage, and blend override functions. This allows a user to instantly recall presets with different combinations of channels, mid boosts, blended overdrive, or even bypass the effect entirely. This could prove useful when connecting the RevivalDRIVE directly to a flat response power amp and using the preamp EQ on the bypassed signal (Mode DIP 1 up).

Connections - RevivalDRIVE, switcher interface, and remote switcher 80dpi

Connect a standard TRS cable from the switcher’s control switch jack (this could be labelled SW, CTL, RMT…) to connection A on the RevivalDRIVE Switcher Interface. Connection A allows the channel to be switched via the tip connection and the bypass state to be switched via the ring connection.

Connect a standard TRS cable from another control switch jack on the controller to connection B on the RevivalDRIVE Switcher Interface. Connection B allows the mid engage to be switched via the tip connection and the blend override to be switched via the ring connection.

Connect the Switcher Interface to the RevivalDRIVE’s F/SWITCH jack socket using a standard TRS cable from connection E. Lastly, connect a 9VDC power supply to connection C and use connection D to “daisy-chain” the power to the RevivalDRIVE.

PLEASE NOTE: Remote switching of the bypass state and active channel can only be achieved with the Switcher Interface. The interface converts latching control formats to a short momentary pulse. In the unlikely event of power loss, the user may find that switcher-to-pedal synchronisation is lost. To re-sync the set-up the user should toggle the affected function directly on the pedal, by pressing the appropriate footswitch.

CONTROLLING TWO PARAMETERS: THE REMOTE SWITCHER CABLE

RevivalDRIVE remote switcher cable TRS cable drawing angled

If only the mid engage and blend override functions are required, our Remote Switcher Cable can be used in place of the Switcher Interface. The 4k7 ohm resistors inside this cable are required to limit switching to just the mid engage and blend override parameters.

Connect the Remote Switcher Cable from a control switch jack on the controller to the RevivalDRIVE’s F/SWITCH connection.

Connections - RevivalDRIVE, custom cable, and remote switcher 80dpi

AVAILABILITY

We are currently finalising procurement of parts and components for the Switcher Interface and Remote Switcher Cable with the hope of announcing retail prices and availability in the near future.

22 replies on “Controlling the RevivalDRIVE with a Remote Switching System

• Mark Popkiss

Good afternoon all.

I have a TC Electronic G System where you can configure the output relays; would your switch interface also work with this?
    Cheers

Mark

• origineffects

Hi, Mark.

From looking at the G System manual, it looks as though you should be able to control all options on the RevivalDRIVE via the Switcher Interface and just the Mid Engage and Blend Override by using the Remote Switcher cable.

Seems like a good option!

• Dukey

As soonest as an order has been placed for Footswitch, this announcement has came to my attention. What a silly dunky mistake I made!..My Boss ES-8 is becoming useless due to Footswitch order. It seems most likely that I feel like
    a betrayed man.

• origineffects

Hello.

I’m sorry that this came to your attention a little too late. If you placed your order with us, please email us so that we can cancel your Revival Footswitch order before it ships.

We published news of the Switcher Interface as soon as we knew that we were definitely putting it into production. We did our best to publish the news as much as we could which included posting on our social media platforms, sending newsletters and posting on our website.

I hope that your issue can be resolved easily.

• Frank

Ok, now I am sold on the thing and once it is out I’ll buy it together with RevivalDrive. It be great together with my G2 and Cali76

• origineffects

Hey, Frank!
      I’m glad that you’ve seen this post and that it has helped you decide to buy a RevivalDRIVE! I’d like to see some photos or video once you have it all hooked up!

• Don Butler

Hi! I’m wondering if the Revival Drive cleans up when I turn my guitar volume down? My Van Weelden Royal OD doesn’t clean up like It does if I just go straight into my Marshall Astoria and crank it up (but that’s too loud for 60% of my gigs..).
    Cheers!

Don Butler

• origineffects

Hi, Don.
      Yes, it does clean up just like an amp! You can even control the amount of negative feedback in the output stage to control how touch-sensitive the pedal is.
      Regards

• Don Butler

I’ve had my “Revival Drive” for about 3 weeks. It is just the most amazing pedal I’ve owned over the last 45 years! It acts just like playing an amp and is extremely touch responsive and interacts exactly like an amp. To say I’m thrilled with this is an understatement… Thanks for making an amazing pedal that adds another 2 channels to my amp!

• origineffects

Hey, Don.
          I’m really happy to hear that you got yourself a RevivalDRIVE and that you had such a positive reaction to it! This pedal was designed from the ground up over more than 2 years so we’re proud that it doesn’t sound like any other pedal and that it encompasses these much-coveted features of vintage valve amps.
          I hope that you get even more enjoyment from the pedal after another 3 weeks and well into the future!
          Regards.

• Kevin

If a product supports momentary type behavior (eg. BOSS FS-7 can do latching or momentary) – can that be used for the channel and bypass states or does one HAVE to have the “Switcher Interface” product to access those functions?

• origineffects

Hey, Kevin.

No this has to be done with the Switcher Interface; this allows patches to be recalled correctly otherwise the remote switcher wouldn’t know whether the RevivalDRIVE is on/bypassed or which channel is active.

The MID ENGAGE and BLEND OVERRIDE functions can be activated with a latching footswitch, however some series resistance will need to be added in – the Remote Switcher Cable can achieve this.

• Kevin

OE – thanks for the quick replay. I can understand how that’s the case with knowing state. I’ll definitely be getting this once available.

PS: if logged in and trying to submit a reply – there’s a “no captcha” error message – but there’s actually no reCaptcha shown on the form. Solution at the moment is to log out and then reply

• Eric

Hi! Any updates on a release date and pricing? REALLY looking forward to hooking this up to the ES-8 for channel switching!

• origineffects

Hello, Eric.

We are finalising the enclosure design and procurement. Once we secure a release date and price we will make a clear announcement here and over our social media channels.

• Denis Deguire

Hi, just buy a Revival, one of the best pedal I’ve bought since a long long time. Please keep me inform about the release of the interface cause I’m using a Boss ES-8. Regards

• Mike Knarreborg

I am able to switch what I need (channel switching only) on the revival drive from my helix. The problem I have is I have to hit the switch twice each time to toggle between the silver and gold channels. is there anything I can do to get it to work with one pulse so I can channel switch with presets from the helix? I don’t need any of the other functions. I have tried momentary and latching, they both have the same results.

• origineffects

Hey, Mike.
      I’m afraid that the only way to control the channel changing remotely is to use our Switcher Interface which we are putting into production soon. Until then you will have to hit the switch twice.
      OE